Ohhhh ‘bama, what have you done? Offshore drilling? Really?
Our cancer isn’t the dependency on foreign oil, it’s the dependency on oil period, and other fossil fuels, from wherever they hail. Oil taken from our backyards, or coal from our stripped lands, is still a cancer. If we’re choosing to die, just by our own hands, then let’s drill the hell out of our coastlines and natural preserves. The oil won’t be here for 10 years, and by that time we may be on an irreversible path toward a little town called self-destruction.
But, if want to free ourselves of the cancer itself, we must abandon fossil fuels as a source of energy and turn to technology that already exists. Wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass are the future, and the future is now.
My wife and I were recently watching an episode of Eco-Tech on The Science Channel. The show was mind-blowing.
- Did you know that all the energy every used by mankind in the history of existence is delivered to the earth by the sun in only 30 days?
- Did you know that solar technology that already exists and is used to make Seville, Spain almost entirely powered by the sun could be used to power the entire planet? According to some scientists, covering just 1% of the Saharan desert with solar reflectors, which would be used to heat water into steam, could supply the entire earth’s energy needs?
- Did you know that wave technology nearly perfected could power all of Florida’s energy needs?
- Did you know a guy in Chicago has developed an urban wind turbine (looks like a big drill bit) that captures wind energy from all directions (I’m going to see this on Friday!)
- Did you know that scientists have almost perfected a solar technology that allows photovoltaic solar cells to be printed in the form of ink onto thin, bendable film? These can be produced 10 to 20 times cheaper than solar panels currently available on any market and can be shaped to contour any surface.
That’s not even the half of it. In ten years we can be free of our dependence on all oil, not just foreign oil. Our skies and rivers will be clean, the needless wars will be over, and we can all start focusing on other problems that have been left untreated or exacerbated by our addiction.